Grief Stories is a charitable organization with a virtual platform created by professional filmmakers and vetted by health care experts. Privately accessible anywhere anytime, this library is a community health resource for people facing grief and loneliness.
We passionately believe in the strength of stories and insights to help people with their grief.
Grief Stories HEALS by mobilizing the power of community through sharing stories that help those in grief feel:
Hopeful for healing,
Empowered to cope,
Accepted as normal in their grief,
Less alone in their experience and
Supported to share their own stories
There are 11 dedicated volunteers on our operations team who are focused on meeting the targets set out in the Grief Stories strategic plan to develop as an organization and to create additional, relevant and helpful content.
- There are now videos in more than 20 categories including death by suicide, death of a partner, living with dying, opioid death, grief in apandemic, supporting others in grief, etc.
- Over 500 short films (plus themed playlists) with real people and professionals sharing stories and insights. Filming is done in a way that makes the content feel intimate and powerful, as collaborators share stories with honesty and hope.
- A health care expert hosts the Grief Stories podcast, interviewing real people about their stories of loss, the challenges they face in grief and what has helped them find hope and healing. A special series of episodes include interviews with bereavement specialists dispelling myths about grief, and interviews with musicians and music therapists talking about the power of music in healing grief.
- Information and resources to help people explore music for healing, including listening to, composing, moving to, and performing music in ways that can offer opportunities to explore and express grief with emphasis on the fact that you don’t need to be an experienced musician to include music as part of your healing journey.
- Information and resources to help people explore their feelings and write to heal, offering an opportunity to let it out, to try to make sense of what is happening in a safe, accessible and inexpensive way to explore and express thoughts and feelings about grief.
- A tribute page called Treasured Memories invites visitors to honour their loved one. “When someone you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.”
Grief Stories is a virtual resource for grievers and those who support them. As the content library has grown, as the website has evolved to improve visitor experience and as the reach has grown, the feedback has been consistently positive. Grief Stories intends to be proactive as well as responsive to community needs as we grow our collection of helpful content and resources, including more stories in more categories and more tools for healing, such as techniques for healing through art.